Wednesday, October 3, 2012

       Okay, so I finished the two paintings I showed previously, I'll have pictures up by the weekend. I'm trying to think about ways to complicate the compositions I use in my paintings. After talking to Marc Handelman and my mentor Zack I think I need to start considering my composition more than I'm used to. Usually I have an idea for an image, then bam, I paint it. Most of my figures are plop dead center of the canvas, which to be honest is starting to get annoying. It's just when I start painting I tend to go to the center. Most times the backgrounds come into play as a whimsy or a happy accident. I don't really think about them as carefully and in context with the whole painting. Hopefully the next couple of paintings I do will try to tackle this problem I have. As to how I will tackle it, I have no answers at present time, if anyone has any ideas, please share! The next issue is surface, which again, I don't think about, or at least not as much as I should. All my paintings are dry. I use the minimal amount of coats of gesso than begin painting. For me it's about the image in my head and getting it on canvas. So, I'm going to try different surfaces and hopefully try to do different things with color ( quit using cerulean blue). Hopefully I'll be able to do this and not go back to default with my painting. Now time for the pretty pictures from my sketchbook.

Remember the sketch I did of the skull lady? Well. here's another one, she's not dead center ( well okay, kind of), but I like how I'm considering more than just one figure.


This is a sketch for a painting I'm currently working on. No, she's not making a funny face, her left-side of her face is paralyzed. I'm beginning to get interested in the idea that something in the body can be broken, like the brain, but you can still function, albeit with a little adapting and adjustment.


No comments:

Post a Comment